Chrysler Group LLC today reported U.S. sales of 152,367 units, a 10 percent increase compared with sales in December 2011 (138,019 units), and the group's best December sales since 2007.
The Chrysler, Dodge, Ram Truck and FIAT brands each posted year-over-year sales gains in December compared with the same month last year. The FIAT brand's 59 percent increase was the largest sales gain of any Chrysler Group brand for the month. December marked Chrysler Group's 33rd-consecutive month of year-over-year sales gains.
For the year, Chrysler Group sales totaled 1,651,787 units, up 21 percent compared with sales in 2011. The Chrysler, Jeep®, Dodge, Ram Truck and FIAT brands each recorded significant sales gains during 2012 compared with sales in the previous year. The Jeep brand's 13 percent sales increase in the U.S. helped push its global sales to an all-time record in 2012. Seven Chrysler Group models set annual sales records in 2012.
"Chrysler Group ended 2012 on a strong note with December sales up 10 percent and our best December sales since 2007," said Reid Bigland, President and CEO – Dodge Brand and Head of U.S. Sales. "Looking back on 2012, we were again one of the fastest growing automakers in the country with total sales up 21 percent. We also recorded 33-consecutive months of year-over-year sales growth and our strongest annual sales in five years. Finally, seven of our vehicles recorded their best ever annual sales in 2012 demonstrating how the quality, design and fuel efficiency of our product line up continues to resonate with consumers."
The all-new Dodge Dart, which just earned a Top Safety Pick from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, played a big role in Chrysler Group's 10 percent sales increase in December. Dart sales were up 36 percent month-over-month in December, the compact car's best monthly sales performance since it went on sale in June.
Also contributing to Chrysler Group's 10 percent increase were the Fiat 500, Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Journey, and Ram Cargo Van, each setting a sales record for the month of December. The Jeep Grand Cherokee – the most awarded SUV ever – recorded its best sales performance of the year in December.
Chrysler Group finished the month with a 72-days supply of inventory (426,664 units). U.S. industry sales figures for December are projected at an estimated 15.8 million units Seasonally Adjusted Annual Rate (SAAR).
- Best December sales since 2007
- 33rd-consecutive month of year-over-year sales gains
- Chrysler Group U.S. sales increase 21 percent in 2012; outpaces projected 13 percent average industry increase
- Chrysler Group U.S. market share grows to 11.2 percent in 2012; up from 10.5 percent share in 2011
- Jeep® brand sales up 13 percent in 2012; U.S. increase helps Jeep brand establish global sales record in 2012
- Editors of Motor Trend name new 2013 Ram 1500 the magazine's 2013 Truck of the Year
- Chrysler, Dodge, Ram Truck, and FIAT brands each post sales increases in December compared with same month a year ago
- Five Chrysler Group models receive 2013 Consumer Guide® Automotive ‘Best Buy' Award: Dodge Grand Caravan, Journey and Durango; Chrysler Town & Country, and Ram 1500
- 12 Chrysler Group models make the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's (IIHS) annual list of Top Safety Picks
- FIAT brand sales up 59 percent in December; largest year-over-year percentage increase of any Chrysler Group brand
- Fiat 500 sets sales record for month of December
- Dodge brand sales up 26 percent; best December sales since 2007
- Dodge Dart sales up 36 percent month over month; best sales month since June launch
- Dodge Journey full-size crossover sales up 63 percent; sets sales record for month of December
- Dodge Challenger muscle car sets sales record for month of December
- Dodge Avenger mid-size sedan posts 19 percent sales increase, best December sales since 2007
- Dodge brand launches new 2013 Dodge Charger AWD Sport
- Ram pickup truck sales up 16 percent; best sales month since December 2007
- Ram Truck brand sales up 16 percent, best December sales since 2007
- Ram Cargo Van sets sales record for month of December with 287 percent increase
- Chrysler brand sales up 6 percent; best December sales since 2007
- Chrysler 300 flagship sedan posts 40 percent sales gain
- Chrysler brand introduces Chrysler 300 Motown Edition with ad campaign featuring legendary Motown founder Berry Gordy
- Jeep Wrangler sets sales record for month of December
- Jeep Patriot sales up 4 percent; best December sales since 2007
- New Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Moab Edition is winner of respected "Four Wheeler of the Year" award from Four Wheeler magazine editors
- Jeep Grand Cherokee records best sales month of the year; best December sales since 2005
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.