Although the weather always changes in Detroit, the man who gives you the forecasts on Local 4 remains the same. The familiar face of Chuck Gaidica brings you the latest Local4Casters info every weekday at 4, 5, 6 and 11 p.m. on Local 4 News.
Chuck's worked as Director of Meteorology at WDIV since 1987. He's been voted the top weathercast in town year after year in the "Metro Times - Best of Detroit" edition and has won 3 Emmy awards.
Chuck says that doing the weather on NBC's "Today Show" ranks as Chuck's proudest professional accomplishments. Chuck is also proud of his inventions -- including the always popular "Cuddle Alert!"
Chuck is an adventurer. He has flown through the eye of a hurricane, chased and "caught" a tornado and been on several adventures.
Chuck accompanied Dr. Bob Ballard who discovered the Titanic on two 10-day expeditions. Chuck lived and broadcast from the Amazon jungle where he lived in the rain forest. He also spent 10-days in Hawaii and broadcast from the top of Mt. Kilauea. Chuck has also lived and studied in Israel and Jordan for nearly a month.
Even though Chuck is a private, instrument rated pilot, he says the best flying adventures have included the hurricane trip, aerobatic flying, flying a B-25 bomber over Pontiac and flying with the U.S. Navy Blue Angels to 20,000 feet in 20-seconds.
Chuck has been to The White House for a conference on climate change. He is a member of the National Weather Association and the recipient of the Silver Circle Award from the national Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
Tidbits you might not know about Chuck:
- He doodles by sketching cars.
- He started out in college to be a doctor. I was enrolled in pre-med at Loyola University-Chicago. Nothing against doctors, I changed my mind. It worked out fine!
- While working at CBS and NBC in New York, Chuck worked with anchors Diane Sawyer, Maria Shriver, Bob Shieffer, Phyllis George, Bill Curtis and others.
- Chuck loves Girl Scout cookies, especially Thin Mints.
- Chuck's favorite coffee is Tim Hortons
If you would like to contact Chuck you can email him at ChuckG@wdiv.com.
Other ways to contact Chuck:
Facebook: Chuck Gaidica
CHUCK'S FAVORITE 4:
- Vacation spot: Harbor Springs
- Favorite book: The Bible
- Favorite movie: The Usual Suspects
Favorite Song: Fantasy-Earth, Wind & Fire