By following his safety check list, families can greatly reduce the risk of tree related fires this holiday season.
If you choose to buy a natural tree, look for a fresh one.
Fresh trees are less likely to catch fire than older trees.
When purchasing a tree:
- Make a 1 inch cut at base of tree.
- Check tree for dryness.
- Needles of a fresh tree will bend as opposed to breaking in half.
- Place tree firmly in a stand with plenty of room for water.
- Check water level daily and add if needed.
- Keep tree at least three feet away from any space heaters.
- Check electrical cords for wear and outlets for overloading.
- Never leave a lighted tree unattended.
- Don't let tree block exits or stairs.
- Keep tree away from portable heaters and other heat sources.
Never use lights or electrical products to decorate a metal or aluminum tree.
More holiday safety headlines:
Have a safe holiday!
Copyright 2012 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.