Other things to keep in mind
- Don't answer the door at all if you're home alone. True scam artists might work in pairs, one to distract you at the front door, while another enters the home in back and steals your belongings.
- Ask to see a door-to-door sales license to determine if they're legitimate.
- If someone is pitching you an expensive product or service, be sure to get two more estimates. If you do your homework, and you still like the price and the product, at least you're making an informed decision.
- If you have any second thoughts: "Any time a salesperson comes into your house and sells you something, you have three days to change your mind. That's three business days," Duquesnel said.
- Click here to search for businesses and charity reviews in Michigan