DETROIT - Detroit Public Schools will showcase diversity Friday with the second annual 'Taste of DPS Multicultural Expo."
Attendees will learn about the various cultures of DPS including Latino/Latina, Bangladeshi, Hmong, African, African-American and Middle Eastern.
During the expo, guests will experience international cultures, receive gifts and have an opportunity to eat lunch at each school.
Menu offerings include: "Hopping John" black-eyed peas, representing the African-American culture; Red Beans, representing Latino culture; Spicy Red Beans, representing the East Indian culture; and Fasolia, a kidney bean dish from the Middle Eastern cultures. All food samples are vegetarian dishes and will be served with rice.
The event is from 10am - 1pm.
The ethnicities that will be represented at each school site include:
· Roberto Clemente Academy, 1551 Beard, the Latino/Latina culture will be explored with food, artwork, gifts and more.
· Detroit International Academy, 9026 Woodward, students and parents will experience Bangladeshi and Hmong cultures.
· Marcus Garvey Academy, 2301 Van Dyke, attendees can enjoy the sights and sounds of African and African-American cultures.
· Priest Elementary-Middle School, 7840 Wagner, students and parents will learn about Middle Eastern cultures.
Other attractions during the Taste of DPS Multicultural Day:
· Gleaners Food Bank will provide a free food distribution at Priest at 10:30 a.m. and Marcus Garvey Academy at 11:30 a.m.
· Tender Care Mobile Dentist will provide free basic dental care at Roberto Clemente Academy throughout the day from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
· A mini workshop will be held at Detroit International Academy titled, "Gardens to Go." Participants will receive free fruit and vegetable seeds.
· Free immunizations will be offered at Marcus Garvey from 10:00 a.m. - Noon, sponsored by St. John Providence Community Health.
On Saturday, DPS will showcase the district with Open Doors Day. Nearly all DPS schools will be open from 10am-2pm. Parents and students will have an opportunity to tour buildings, meet staff and sample lunch.
Open Doors Day includes free immunizations and giveaways.
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.