DETROIT - The public is getting a chance to comment on the state-managed Detroit Public Schools' proposed $784 million budget for 2012-13.
The hearing starts at 5 p.m. Wednesday at Renaissance High School.
The budget plan cuts spending by 25 percent as 15 schools shift to a new state authority created to increase student achievement.
Michigan put emergency manager Roy Roberts in charge of the district after persistent budget deficits run up by the district's elected board of education.
The district said last week that it expects an $11.9 million surplus for 2011-12.
The district says it's projecting an enrollment of 51,927 in 2012-13. That number excludes the estimated 11,020 students in the 15 schools that are coming under the state's new Education Achievement Authority for under-performing schools.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.