DETROIT - President Obama's education secretary will be in Detroit on Monday for a town hall meeting on education issues and visits to three area schools.
The Detroit Public Schools and Gov. Rick Snyder's office say Education Secretary Arne Duncan and Snyder will visit a fifth-grade class at Thirkell Elementary School at 11:15 a.m.
The school has about 490 students from preschool to eighth grade. It's about 3 1/2 northwest of downtown Detroit.
Snyder's office says Duncan and the governor next visit Brenda Scott Elementary/Middle School, which the state Education Achievement Authority manages. The authority was created to run schools the state classifies as failing.
Duncan and Snyder will hold a town hall meeting at Scott school and a round-table discussion at Perry Child Development Center in Ypsilanti.
- Gov. Snyder declares May 5-11 Arson Awareness Week
- Bless Fest job fair plus more at WCCC in Taylor
- Motor City Makeover, citywide cleanup begins
- Bullet hits Southfield couple's car on Detroit freeway
- Detroit apartment fire sends 1 to hospital on Sunday
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.