Detroit - If you're looking for something savory and sweet for the holiday table, try these oven roasted spiced nuts - a recipe from Tina Miller, Meijer Healthy Living Advisor.
2 egg whites lightly beaten (or 1/2 cup liquid egg white)
2 Tablespoons of water
6 cups shelled walnuts or pecan halves
1 cup Meijer sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground McCormick cinnamon
1 tsp. ground McCormick cloves
1 tsp. ground McCormick nutmeg
1 tsp. McCormick Chinese 5-spice powder
1. Preheat conventional oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment baking paper or use a silicone baking sheet.
3. In a bowl beat egg white, mix in water, and add nuts. In a separate bowl whisk together well all spices and sugar. Add spice-sugar mix to nut mix.
4. Mix well and spread onto cookie sheet. Place in the middle rack of oven - bake for 30 minutes (no longer) until mostly dry, stir every 10 minutes (this is important to avoid burning). Watch closely at end of baking time to avoid burning.
5. Allow to cool completely before storing. Do not refrigerate. Seal tightly in a zipper lock bag or an air-tight sealed container. Makes 24 - 1/4 cup portions.
Nutrition Information per serving: 301 Calories, 28g Fat, 3.9g Protein, 13.3g Carbohydrate, 105mg Sodium, 0 mg Cholesterol, 3.7g Fiber, 37mg Calcium.