This yummy cornbread not only tastes great, but is also a relatively healthy recipe…you can indulge without the guilt. Enjoy!
Dry ingredients to mix together:
1 ¼ cup flour
¾ cup yellow cornmeal
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup sugar
Liquid ingredients to mix together:
1 cup fat free vanilla yogurt
4 tablespoons canola oil
2 egg whites
½ teaspoon baking soda (I know…this isn't a liquid, but it will be added to the liquid ingredients)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put all of the dry ingredients (except baking soda) in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- In another bowl, thoroughly mix together the liquid ingredients. Stir in the baking soda…then wait until you see a few small bubbles.
- Fold the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix with a spoon until combined. The batter will be a little stiff…that's okay. If you think it's too dry, you can add a bit more yogurt (or milk) by the tablespoonful until you get the desired consistency.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- This recipe doubles nicely…just bake in a 9x13 inch baking dish and increase the baking time to 30-35 minutes.
Some people say that this version is really good with blueberries mixed in…just add 1 cup berries to the mix. I'm also told that you can substitute some of the white flour with whole wheat flour…perhaps a ¼ cup. I haven't tried either of these, but will someday.
You can also use this recipe to make corn muffins! Bake for 20-25 minutes and, as mentioned above, it must pass the toothpick test.
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.