Savory Herb Rub Roasted Turkey
The herb rub lends delicious savory flavor to the outside of your turkey, while basting keeps the meat juicy inside. Be sure to reserve the pan juices to make a simple gravy.
Prep Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes / Makes: 12 servings
2 tbsp. McCormick® Rubbed Sage or 2 tbsp. McCormick® Poultry Seasoning
1 tbsp. McCormick® Paprika
1 tbsp. seasoned salt
2 tsp. McCormick® Garlic Powder
1 tsp. McCormick® Ground Black Pepper
3/4 tsp. McCormick® Ground Nutmeg
1 (12- to 14-lb.) whole turkey, fresh or thawed if frozen
1 large onion, cut into wedges
6 McCormick® Bay Leaves
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Place oven rack in lowest position. Preheat oven to 325°F. Place roasting rack in shallow roasting pan. Mix sage, paprika, seasoned salt, garlic powder, pepper and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- Rinse turkey; pat dry. Place turkey, breast-side up, in prepared pan. Sprinkle about half of the seasoning mixture inside of turkey. Stuff with onion and bay leaves. Brush turkey breast with oil. Spread remaining seasoning mixture over entire surface and under skin of turkey. Add 1/2 cup water to pan. Cover turkey loosely with heavy duty foil.
- Roast 1 hour. Remove foil. Roast 2 to 2 1/2 hours longer or until internal temperature reaches 165°F (175°F in thigh), basting occasionally with pan juices. Remove turkey from oven. Let stand 20 minutes. Transfer to platter or carving board to slice. Reserve pan juices to make gravy or to serve with turkey.
Simple Gravy: Pour pan drippings into a large glass measuring cup; skim fat, if desired. Add chicken broth to drippings to measure 3 cups. Whisk in 3 tablespoons flour; pour mixture into roasting pan. Place roasting pan across 2 stove burners over medium-high heat. Cook 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened, whisking constantly and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve with turkey.
Recipe Source: IN Marketing Services
Sweet Potato Bruschetta
2 long, narrow sweet potatoes, unpeeled, scrubbed well, sliced into ½ inch slices
Meijer Olive oil or vegetable oil for spraying
Blue Cheese and Bacon Topping:
1/3 cup Meijer plain Greek yogurt
1/8 – 1/4 tsp. McCormick cayenne pepper
1/4 cup, plus 1 tbsp. blue or gorgonzola cheese
2-3 Tbsp. Meijer Real Bacon pieces
2 tbsp. minced fresh chives
1 tbsp. chopped walnuts (optional)
Goat Cheese and Cranberry Topping:
¼ cup Meijer light cream cheese
4 oz. crumbled goat cheese
2 tsp. honey
2 tbsp. roasted pumpkin seeds or chopped pistachios
2 tbsp. Meijer dried cranberries (fresh pomegranate seeds may be used in place of cranberries)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat both sides of sweet potato slices with olive oil or spray, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread potatoes out on a baking pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until knife-tender. Let cool completely before topping.
- For the blue cheese and bacon topping: in a small bowl combine yogurt, cayenne and ¼ cup of the blue cheese. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For the goat cheese, cranberry and pumpkin seed topping, in a small bowl combine cream cheese, goat cheese and honey with a fork or whisk until smooth.
- To assemble: Evenly spoon the blue cheese topping onto the center of half of the sweet potato slices and top with bacon, chives, remaining blue cheese, and (if desired) walnuts. Spoon the goat cheese topping onto center of remaining half of sweet potato slices. Sprinkle goat cheese and top with pumpkin seeds and cranberries. Serve.
*Nutrition Information per serving (2 bruschetta): 80 calories, 2.5g fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 5g protein
*Nutritional analysis reflects sweet potato bruschetta topped with the bacon and blue cheese topping.
Recipe adapted from: Meijer Healthy Living Naturally November-December 2013, IN Marketing
A perfect light dessert for guests with special dietary needs or for those counting calories!
Makes 6 servings (or 12 mini-cups)
1 package (4 serving size) Meijer instant vanilla pudding mix (sugar-free, fat-free)
1 1/2 cups low fat milk
1 cup canned Meijer pumpkin puree
1 tsp. McCormick Cinnamon
½ tsp. McCormick Ginger, ground
1 ½ cups Light Whipped Topping
Optional: 12 ginger snaps-crushed into small crumbs
- Mix pudding mix, cinnamon, and ginger in large bowl.
- Add milk and pumpkin. Whisk for 2 minutes until blended.
- Gently stir in 1 cup of whipped topping.
- Spoon into dessert glasses
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Top each dessert with remaining whipped topping and optional garnishes, if desired.
Optional toppings: chopped nuts, crushed ginger snaps, nutmeg
Recipe source: www.McCormick.com
Nutrition Information (per full serving-1/6 of recipe): Calories 98, Fat 3g, Carbohydrate 13g, Fiber 1g, Protein 2g
Traditional Pumpkin Pie: Calories 275, Fat 11g, Carbohydrate 40g, Fiber 2g, Protein 5g
Upside-Down Hot Turkey Sandwich Casserole (Leftovers)
Serves 6 / Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes
4 Tbsp. Country Crock® Spread, melted
2 cups prepared mashed potatoes
3 cups coarsely chopped cooked turkey breast
1 cup cooked mixed vegetables, (such as peas and carrots)
1/2 cup prepared turkey gravy
1/2 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
2 slices whole wheat sandwich bread, cut into cubes
1 tsp. McCormick poultry seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 8-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon Country Crock® Spread. Spoon in mashed potatoes, then drizzle with 1 tablespoon Spread.
- Top with turkey and vegetables and gravy. Dollop with cranberry sauce.
- Toss bread cubes with remaining 2 tablespoons Spread and poultry seasoning and sprinkle on top.
- Bake 30 minutes or until heated through and bread cubes are toasted.
Nutrition Information per serving: Calories 280, Calories from Fat 80, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 2.5 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 50 mg, Sodium 490 mg, Total Carbohydrate 26 g, Dietary Fiber 2 g, Sugar 7 g, Protein 24 g, Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 8%, Calcium 4%, Iron 8%
Recipe Source: Unilever Chefs
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.