Detroit - What's 4 Dinner $10 Meal
Tina Miller, MS RD Meijer Dietitian and Healthy Living Advisor
For more information visit www.meijermealbox.com
Enjoy the flavors of fall with this healthy twist on Cincinnati Chili. Using Spaghetti squash in place of regular pasta reduces calories and provides a nutrient boost. Pumpkin puree adds health-promoting antioxidants and helps to create a rich, satisfying full-bodied chili.
Pumpkin Turkey Chili
1 cup chopped white onion (NuVal Score 93) - ($0.30)
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped (NuVal Score 96) - ($0.50)
3/4 to 1 pound Jennie-O lean ground turkey (NuVal Score 46) - ($2.56)
1 package (1.25 oz.) Meijer Chili Seasoning Mix ($0.50)
1 tablespoon to 1 1/2 tablespoon McCormick Southwest Seasoning spice blend (optional)
1 can (15 oz.) Meijer pumpkin puree (NuVal Score 94) - $(0.99)
1 cup Meijer reduced sodium chicken broth (NuVal Score 4) - ($0.57)
1 can (15.25 oz.) reduced sodium black beans, undrained (NuVal Score 89) - ($0.89)
1 can (15.25 oz.) Meijer corn (no salt added) (NuVal Score 91) - ($0.59)
1 can (28 oz) Meijer diced tomatoes (NuVal Score 44) - ($1.29)
1. Brown ground turkey, onion and bell pepper in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until turkey is evenly browned.
2. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
3. Simmer 30 minutes. Add more broth or water for thinner chili.
4. Salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Serve over spaghetti squash.
Tip: Spoon single portion servings of any leftover chili into freezer-safe containers. pull from the freezer and thaw for a quick lunch or fast dinner alternative to fast food on busy nights.
Nutrition information (per serving): 347 Calories, 7g Fat, 2g Saturated Fat, 50mg Cholesterol, 410 mg Sodium, 44g Carbohydrate, 12g Fiber, 27g Protein.
Total Cost - Chili: $8.19
1 large spaghetti squash (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds) - ($1.73)
Meijer nonstick cooking spray (for oven baking)
Salt and pepper to taste
Oven Bake Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Halve spaghetti squash lengthwise and remove seeds and membranes. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
3. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place squash halves cut side down on baking sheet and bake 45 to 50 minutes, until tender.
4. When cool enough to handle, use a fork and separate the spaghetti squash into strands.
5. Serve topped with Pumpkin Chili.
Microwave Oven Directions:
1. Half spaghetti squash lengthwise and remove seeds and membranes. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
2. Place squash half cut side down in a microwave-safe baking dish with 1/3 cup water. Microwave on high for 5 to 8 minutes, until tender. Repeat with 2nd half.
3. When cool enough to handle, use a fork and separate the spaghetti squash into strands.
4. Serve topped with Pumpkin Chili.
Total Meal Cost: $9.92