DETROIOT - Add those cute little hedgehogs to the list of pets that can make you sick.
In the last year, 20 people were infected by a rare but dangerous form of salmonella bacteria, and one person died.
One of the salmonella related illnesses were reported in Michigan.
Investigators say all the cases were linked to contact with hedgehogs kept as pets.
Health officials on Thursday say such cases seem to be increasing.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends thoroughly washing your hands after handling hedgehogs.
Also, clean pet cages and other equipment outside.
Seven of the hedgehog illnesses were in Washington state, including the death.
The other cases were in Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio and Oregon.
Other pets that carry the salmonella bug are frogs, toads, turtles, snakes, lizards, chicks and ducklings.
More health headlines:
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.