NEW HAVEN, Mich. - A student at New Haven High School has been diagnosed with bacterial meningitis.
According to a letter sent home by Principal Carl Wagner, the student became ill at school on Monday afternoon and was taken by ambulance to a local hospital. Doctors diagnosed the student with non-contagious bacterial meningitis.
"There are no recommendations we've been given to do anything other than universal precautions," Wagner said in the letter.
Over the Thanksgiving holiday break, a work crew will thoroughly clean surface area and handles in the high school, even though school officials say they were told that effort was not necessary.
Bacterial meningitis can be spread through the exchange of respiratory and throat secretions such as coughing and kissing, according to a health department fact sheet. Signs of the infection of membranes over the spinal cord and brain include high fever, a stiff neck, a headache, nausea, vomiting, discomfort in bright lights, confusion and seizures.
No additional information was available on the health of the student who became ill, Wagner said.
You may also be interested in:
Copyright 2012 by ClickOnDetroit.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.