Chef Jenn's salted caramel and chocolate cupcake offers big flavor in a mini bite
Salty and sweet, these cupcakes appeal on multiple levels
There's bit of genius behind mini-cupcakes. They allow you a perfect bite-size portion of an indulgent treat. Meijer Healthy Living Advisor, Tina Miller shares Chef Jenn's Salted Caramel and Chocolate Cupcake.
Makes 2 dozen
6 Tbsp. Meijer unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 cup Meijer dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup Meijer granulated sugar
1 large egg (room temperature)
1 large egg yolk (room temperature)
3/4 cup red wine
1 tsp. McCormick pure vanilla extract
1 cup plus 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch cocoa powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. Meijer baking powder
1 /4 tsp. salt
1 cup Sanders Caramel topping
1 cup Meijer chocolate frosting
1 Tbsp. course ground sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars; add eggs, red wine and vanilla and beat until well combined.
3. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and ¼ tsp. salt. Whisk into butter mixture until well combined.
4. Fill the 24 mini cupcake pan cups 3/4 full. Bake for 15-17 minutes.
5. While cupcakes bake, in a small mixing bowl combine 3/4 cup caramel with 1/2 Tbsp. coarse salt. Place into a pastry bag with any tip (leaf shape works best).
6. In another small mixing bowl, mix frosting 1/4 cup caramel and 1/2 Tbsp. coarse salt. Fill a second pastry bag with frosting.
7. Once cupcakes are baked, use the pastry bag with the caramel to poke a hole in the top and fill the inside of cupcake with a squeeze of caramel. Top with frosting. Garnish with a light dusting of coarse salt if desired.
Recipe source: Chef Jennifer, Meijer culinary team