Meijer NuVal™ Trade Up Recipe of the Week
NuVal™ Scores 1 to 100, the higher the number, the better the Nutrition! Find scores on shelf price tags at Meijer stores.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Summer is prime season for zucchini and what better way to sneak in those veggies than these tasty muffins.
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (NuVal™ Score 91)
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. McCormick’s cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup Silk Original Soymilk (NuVal™ Score 82)
1/4 cup Mott’s unsweetened applesauce (NuVal™ Score 25)
1 egg, beaten (NuVal™ Score 33)
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup grated zucchini (NuVal™ Score 99)
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
2) In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
3) In another bowl whisk together Silk, vinegar, vegetable oil, beaten egg, and vanilla until combined.
4) Pour Silk mixture over dry cocoa mixture and stir by hand until all the flour is incorporated.
5) Stir in the zucchini followed by boiling water. The mixture will be thin.
6) Fill muffin liners 3/4 of the way full, sprinkle with chocolate chips and bake for 13-17 minutes until tops spring back and a tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Nutritional info per serving: Calories 150, Total fat 4g, Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 217mg, Carbohydrate 29g, Dietary fiber 3g, Protein 3g.
Nutrition Notes: Replacing oil with unsweetened applesauce cuts the fat in half and slashes the calories by 25% in each muffin! Using the whole wheat flour, with a score of 91, also boosts the fiber content up to 3g instead of 1g with all-purpose flour.