Meijer NuVal™ Trade Up Recipe of the Week
NuVal™ Scores 1 to 100, the higher the number, the better the Nutrition! Find scores on shelf price tags at Meijer stores.
Lasagna with Sausage Ragu Redux
Trading up to whole wheat pasta, turkey sausage, and low fat cottage cheese amps up the nutrition in the recipe!
About 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided NuVal 4
1/2 cup chopped onion NuVal- 93
1/2 cup chopped celery NuVal- 96
1/2 cup chopped carrot NuVal- 99
1 pound turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1 cup low-fat (1%) milk NuVal-81
1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Chardonnay
1 can (28 oz.) whole tomatoes, including juices, finely
chopped or crushed with your hands NuVal-96
1 cup tomato juice- NuVal- 82
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 1/2 cups low-fat (1%) cottage cheese NuVal-40
1 large egg NuVal-
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
12 ounces whole wheat lasagna noodles NuVal-91
1. In a large, heavy saucepan, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until golden, 5 minutes. Stir in celery and carrot; cook 5 more minutes. Add sausage and 1/2 tsp. salt, breaking up meat with a spoon, and cook until it loses its raw color.
2. Add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring, until completely evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes. (The mixture will appear quite curdled at this point.) Add wine and cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and juice, bring to a boil, lower heat, and gently simmer, uncovered. Cook ragù until liquid reduces by a third, about 30 minutes. Season with 1/4 tsp. pepper and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt.
3. In a food processor, whirl cottage cheese, egg, 1/4 cup parmesan, remaining 1/4 tsp. pepper, and the nutmeg until smooth.
4. Preheat oven to 375°. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; don't overcook. Drain noodles and lay flat on kitchen towels without overlapping. Oil a 9- by 13-in. baking dish and spread with about 1/2 cup ragù.
Add Add a single layer of noodles (for most brands this is 3 sheets per layer). Spread with a third of ragu, then top with another layer of noodles, half the cheese mixture, and another layer of noodles. Repeat layering, giving you 2 alternating layers of sauce and cheese. Cover with remaining third of ragù and sprinkle evenly with remaining parmesan.
5. Cover lasagna with oiled foil and bake until hot, 30 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from CookingLight.com
Nutritional Information per serving- Calories: 407, Protein: 29g, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 3.6g, Carbohydrate: 47g, Fiber: 3.7g, Sodium: 1315mg, Cholesterol: 74mg
Nutrition Notes: Using whole wheat pasta, turkey sausage, and low fat cottage cheese increases the NuVal score by 30!