Presidential Favorite Foods
Obama BBW Chicken Pizza, Ann Romney's Meatloaf Cakes, Obama Family Chili Recipe
Election Day Dinners under $10.
One of President Barak Obama's favorite foods is pizza from Italian Fiesta Pizzeria. Here's a Presidential Pizza that your family will enjoy.
Obama Pizza Party: BBQ chicken Pizza - $7.29
1/4 cup Meijer barbecue sauce - $0.33
3/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts - NuVal Score 39 - $1.49
1 cup red bell pepper, seeded and large dice - NuVal Score 96 - $1
2 tablespoon Meijer olive oil, divided - NuVal Score 11 - on hand
1 pre-cooked 12-inch pizza crust or focaccia - $2.39
1 cup Kraft 2% milk shredded Monterey Jack cheese - NuVal Score 27 - $1.33
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced -NuVal Score 93 - $0.25
1-2 tablespoon. Meijer sliced ripe olives $0.50
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place pizza crust on baking sheet, brush lightly with small amount of olive oil. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven, leaving oven on.
2. Meanwhile, cut chicken breasts into 1/2-inch wide strips, sprinkle lightly with salt and black pepper to taste. In a medium skillet heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; add chicken, cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Shortcut: Use shredded breast meat from a Meijer rotisserie chicken.
3. Meanwhile spread bearbecue sauce on heated crust. Top with onions, olives, red peppers, chicken and cheese. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Nutrition information (per serving) Calories 282, Total Fat 14g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 463mg, Carbohydrates 18g, Fiber 1g, Protein 21g.
Recipe adapted from Meijermealbox.com, try-foods international.
Serve with: Dole Italian blend salad ($1.99) and low fat dressing (on hand).
Total Meal Cost: $9.28
Ann Romney's Meatloaf cakes - $6.43
From Mrs. Romney's appearance on the Rachael Ray Show; Presidential candidate Mitt Romney's favorite dinner
Serves 6 (make 6 individual meatloaf cakes)
For the meatloaf cakes;
1 1/2 ounds certified angus beef ground round - NuVal Score 30- $4.75
3/4 cup Meijer breadcrumbs (4 slices bread, crumbled into small pieces) - whole wheat NuVal Score 25 - $0.40
1 large egg - NuVal Score 39 - 40.14
1/4 cup chopped onion - NuVal Score 93-$0.25
1/4 cup lemon juice - NuVal Score 99 - $0.60
2 teaspoons seasoned salt - on hand
For the sauce:
1/4 cup ketchup - $0.20
1/4 cup brown sugar - on hand
1 teaspoon McCormick dry mustard - on hand
1/4 teaspoon McCormick ground cloves - on hand
1/4 teaspoon McCormick ground allspice - on hand
1. For the meatloaf cakes: Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, crumbled bread or breadcrumbs, egg, onion, lemon juice and seasoned salt. Mix lightly but thoroughly and shape into six small loaves. Space evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes; meanwhile, prepare the sauce.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, cloves and allspice. When the meatloaf cakes have baked for 15 minutes, brush each loaf with sauce and return to the oven. Continue to bake until the meatloaf cakes read 165 degrees in the center when tested with an instant-read thermometer, about 20 more minutes. If desired, serve with scalloped potatoes and steamed vegetables. Pass additional sauce separately.
Serve with Meijer refrigerated Mashed Potatoes - $1.99 and Meijer frozen cut green beans - $1.25
Total Meal Cost: $9.67
And, just in case you missed it earlier this year, Mr. Obama has been known to brag about his chili and Good Morning America ran the Obama family recipe.
Obama Family Chili Recipe
1 large onion, chopped - NuVal Score 93
1 green pepper, chopped - NuVal Score 96
Several cloves of garlic, chopped - NuVal Score 91
1 tablespoon Meijer olive oil - NuVal Score 11
1 pound ground turkey or lean ground beef - NuVal Score 30
1/4 teaspoon McCormick ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon McCormick ground oregano
1/4 teaspoon McCormick ground tumeric
1/4 teaspoon McCormick ground basil
1 tablespoon McCormick chili powder
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Several tomatoes, depending on size, chopped - NuVal Score 96
1 can (15 ox.) reduced sodium red kidney beans - NuVal Score 82
2 cups brown rice, cooked - NuVal Score 82
1. Saute onions, green pepper and garlic in olive oil until soft.
2. Add ground meat and brown.
3 Combine spices together into a mixture, then add to ground meat.
4. Add red wine vinegar.
5. Add tomatoes and let simmer until tomatoes cook down.
6. Add kidney beans and cook for a few more minutes.
7. If desired, serve over white or brown rice. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, onions and light sour cream.
Nutrition information (per serving without rice or garnishes) Calories486, total Fat 11g, Saturated Fat 2.5g, Cholesterol 60mg. Sodium 222 mg, Carbohydrates 63g, fiber 10g, Protein 30g.