What's 4 Dinner: Savory mushroom-rice bowl
Healthy Living Advisor Tina Miller shares a delicious recipe
Going meatless just one day a week can help to reduce your risk for chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity. Our Savory Mushroom-Rice Bowl is a hearty meatless recipe that incorporates dark greens, nuts and whole grains. These foods provide fiber and protective antioxidants that contribute to healthier cholesterol levels and can help reduce your risk for heart disease.
Savory Mushroom-Rice Bowl
1 Tbsp. Meijer extra virgin olive oil – on hand
1/3 Cup sliced red onion (NuVal® score 93) - $0.20
4 cups (about 12 oz.) sliced mini bella mushrooms (NuVal® score 99) - $3.00
1/2 cup Meijer Naturals vegetable stock - $0.32
6 cups Earth Bound Farm Organics mixed baby kale (NuVal® score 99) - $2.66
1/4 cup dried cranberries - $0.21
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme (or 3/4 tsp. McCormick dried thyme) – on hand
4 cups cooked Meijer instant brown rice (NuVal® score 82) or Brown rice and quinoa blend - $1.47
McCormick Sea salt and ground pepper to taste – on hand
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts - (NuVal® score 46) - $0.45
- Lightly toast pine nuts in a small skillet (3-4 minutes) on stove top over medium heat (watch closely to avoid burning).
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat about 1 minute. Add onion and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Add broth and kale; cook and stir about 3 minutes, until kale wilts.
- Stir in cranberries and thyme. Lightly season again with salt and pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes, until cranberries begin to plump.
- Divide warm rice evenly into four bowls and top with mushroom mixture. Garnish with toasted pine nuts.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 380 calories, 11g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 12g protein.
Recipe adapted from Meijer Healthy Living Naturally TryFoods International (www.meijermealbox.com)
Total Recipe Cost: $8.31
Serve with: fresh sliced strawberries for dessert ($1.66)
Total Meal Cost: $9.97