January is the perfect time of year for slow-cooker suppers so break out the crock-pot and enjoy our slow-cooker Chicken with Sweet Potatoes.
Menu for 4: $9.91
- Slow-Cooker Chicken with Sweet Potatoes: $6.99
- Dole salad blend (4 servings, about 2/3 bag): $1.25
- Sliced fresh strawberries (1 quart): $1.67
Slow-Cooker Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
- 2 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs, skins removed and fat trimmed ($2.98)
- 1 1/2 lbs. (about 3 medium) Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks ($1.49)
- 1 lb. (about 3 small) Russet potatoes, washed and cut into large chunks ($0.67)
- 8 oz. white button or mini-bella mushrooms, sliced ($1.00)
- 1 small white onion, sliced ($0.46)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 tsp. McCormick Garlic powder (on hand) 1 cup Meijer Chicken broth (or 1/2 cup chicken broth plus 1/2 cup dry white wine) ($0.39)
- 2 tsp. McCormick Herbes de Provance blend or crushed Rosemary (on hand)
- 1/2 tsp. Salt (on hand) 1/2 tsp. Fresh ground black pepper (on hand)
1 1/2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar) (on hand)
1. Layer onion, chicken, white potatoes, and mushroom in a 6 qt. or larger slow cooker; top with sweet potatoes.
2. Stir garlic, Herbes de Provance, salt and pepper into chicken broth (or wine/chicken broth blend) and pour over chicken.
3. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low until the potatoes are tender (about 5 hours).
4. Stir in vinegar and serve. Optional: remove bones from chicken prior to serving.
Nutrition Information (per serving): Calories 315, Fat 6g, Saturated Fat 2g, Cholesterol 50mg, Sodium 405mg, Carbohydrate 36g, Fiber 5g, Protein 18g.