Mixed berry French toast won't bust calorie budget
Berries and low-fat ingredients keep breakfast bake healthy
When you have an active day ahead of you, you have the need for a hearty breakfast.
Meijer Healthy Living Advisor Tina Miller has just the thing - a mixed berry french toast bake.
Mixed Berry French Toast Bake
1 loaf Meijer fresh artesian French bread, cubed
6 egg whites
3 Meijer large whole eggsNuVal™ 33
1 ¾ cups Meijer fat free milkNuVal™ 91
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
1 package (12 oz) Meijer berry medley frozen berriesNuVal™ 91
2 tablespoons stick butterNuVal™ 1
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
Meijer non-stick extra virgin olive oil spray
1) Place bread cubes in a 13 inch x 9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
2) In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt.
3) Pour previous mixture over bread.
4) Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours.
5) Thirty minutes before baking, remove berries from the freezer and set aside.
6) Remove baking dish from refrigerator and bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
7) In a small bowl, cut butter into brown sugar until the mixture crumbles.
8) Sprinkle berries and brown sugar mixture over French toast.
9) Bake, uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition per Serving: 29kcal, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 545mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 12g protein.
Trade Ups: Substitute Meijer large eggs (NuVal™ 33) with Egglands Best large eggs (NuVal™ 44). Substitute stick butter ( NuVal™ 1) with Country Crock Plus Calcium (NuVal™ 6). Substitute Meijer fresh artesian French bread with 3 Meijer fresh artesian multi-grain demi baguettes.
Adapted From: Taste of Home. Mixed Berry French Toast Bake.
Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast. November 2009. Available at: www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mixed-berry-french-toast-bake. Accessed March 18th, 2013.