Recipe for sweet potato cake
Sweet potatoes are the new pumpkin when it comes to fall flavors.
If you’ve had enough “pumpkin spice” for the season, Sweet Potato Sensations in Detroit makes every dessert imaginable with sweet potatoes -- including ice cream!
Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A, beta carotene and fiber and are a welcome alternative on holiday menus.
You can find the recipe for Sweet Potato Sensations’ sweet potato cake here:
For the cake:
2-teaspoons baking soda
2-teaspoons baking powder
1-cup brown sugar
1-cup granulated sugar
1-1/2- cups margarine
3 large eggs
1-tablespoon vanilla flavoring
2-1/2-cups mashed sweet potatoes
½-cup crushed pineapple, drained
1-cup chopped walnuts
For the cream cheese icing:
16-ounces cream cheese softened
1/3-cup butter, softened
1-Tablespoon vanilla flavoring
3-cups confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2-9”pans or 3-8” pans.
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and granulated sugar. Set aside. Cream margarine and brown sugar on low speed, then increase to medium speed until well combined. Add the dry ingredient mixture slowly. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg. Add vanilla flavoring. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl after the addition of each egg. Add sweet potatoes, pineapple, raisins and walnuts. Blend on low until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour batter into pans and smooth the surface with a metal spatula. Bake in center of the oven for 60 to 70 minutes. A toothpick inserted in center should come out clean or when you touch the center of the cake it should spring back. Allow to cool in pans about 10 minutes. Then invert onto rack and cool.
- For icing: In medium bowl of electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until smooth. Add vanilla and mix well. Gradually beat in sugar on low speed until smooth.
- Icing the cake: Place first cake layer upside down on cake platter. Using a metal spatula spread a layer of cream cheese frosting evenly over the layer. Take the next layer and place it rounded side up. Frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting.
- Cake should be refrigerated for about an hour to make sure the layers are set. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top of cake for extra garnish or you may want to stir finely chopped walnuts and crushed pineapple in the frosting before frosting the cake for that extra special touch.