Centers for Disease Control updates Michigan's case count associated with meningitis outbreak
CDC: 194 Michigan infections linked to meningitis outbreak
As of November 30, Michigan's case count associated with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention multi-state meningitis investigation is 194 total cases, including 10 deaths.
Fungal meningitis has been linked to contaminated steroids produced by a Massachusetts pharmacy and shipped to four Michigan clinics.
Read: Mich. man whose wife died of meningitis being treated in hospital.
Patients who became ill had received injections for neck or back pain.
In October the first Michigan lawsuit was filed against the distributor, New England Compounding Pharmacy.
The suit was filed on behalf of a 46 year old Howell resident who contracted fungal meningitis and remains hospitalized after receiving a steroid injection for back pain.
The woman seeks to hold the New England Compounding Pharmacy accountable for the costs she bears due to their lax procedures, and to represent all Michigan residents who have suffered economic losses as a result of the outbreak.
Read: Milan man falls victim to fungal meningitis.
The breakdown in Michigan:
- 28 meningitis
- 1 meningitis and a joint infection
- 36 meningitis plus epidural abscess
- 1 stroke
- 116 epidural abscesses
- 13 peripheral joints
- 10 deaths* (One death associated with stroke, one associated with an epidural abscess, and eight among patients counted as meningitis cases.)*Three additional Michigan resident deaths are being counted as an Indiana cases as that's where treatment occurred.
- Livingston County - 75 year old woman
- Livingston County - 50 year old woman
- Ingham County - 88 year old woman
- Charlevoix County - 81 year old woman
- Wayne County - 64 year old woman
- Livingston County - 79 year old woman
- Washtenaw County - 62 year old man
- Genesee County - 56 year old woman
- Livingston County - 67 year old woman
- Washtenaw County - 78 year old woman
Dr. Frank McGeorge answers meningitis questions.
Michigan Department of Community Health meningitis link.
CDC meningitis outbreak map.