Health insurance is an important part of helping people manage their overall health and well-being.
Humana offers a variety of health insurance plans to meet the unique needs of people and their families.
On October 1, 2013, a new health insurance marketplace opened, giving Americans new healthcare and health insurance choices; however, we understand these options may be confusing. Humana is helping people better understand this new system so that they can obtain the health insurance coverage that they need.
In fact, according to recent polls from The Wall Street Journal and NBC, 76 percent of uninsured respondents didn’t understand the law and how it would affect them and only 32 percent of the uninsured thought they were “fairly” or “very” likely to use the exchanges. Humana is helping people better understand what the Affordable Care Act means to them.
Humana is offering a simple, online resource to help Americans make sense of healthcare reform and their health insurance options so that they can make informed decisions when insuring themselves and their families. Go to Humanahelps.com to learn more.
About Federal Health Care Reform:
- Beginning October 1, 2013 through March 2014, individuals and families can purchase health insurance through exchanges, which are similar to an online shopping center; through an insurance agent; or through health insurance companies, including options offered by Humana.
- Some people may qualify for financial assistance to help pay for health insurance
- No one will be denied health insurance coverage based on their medical condition
- People who do not have health insurance by the 2014 tax filing season may face a penalty
What is health insurance?
- Health insurance is a way to safeguard yourself from devastating financial loss due to medical bills if you or someone in your family becomes ill or injured.
- Without health insurance, a single serious illness could use up the money you’ve set aside for your retirement, children’s education, or dream home. With health insurance, seeing the doctor may be more affordable because you can take advantage of the savings that your health insurance company has negotiated and the coverage available with your health insurance plan.
- Health insurance also covers all or part of the cost of preventive care that can help you stay well. This includes routine doctors’ visits for things like checkups, cholesterol screenings, and immunizations such as the flu shot. People who have health insurance may be more likely to get the preventive care they need on a regular basis.
- When you buy health insurance, you enter into a kind of contract. In exchange for the monthly fee you pay, your health insurance carrier will cover all or part of the costs of your healthcare.
- Many people get their insurance through their employer. Other people purchase it directly through a private health insurance company such as Humana or through insurance agents who sell health coverage from a variety of health insurance companies. In addition, the government offers special programs such as Medicare and Medicaid for senior citizens and people who are disabled or can’t afford insurance.