In years past, pets could not be protected in domestic violence restraining orders in any state. But because abusers can use pets to threaten victims, maybe even kill the animals, the laws have changed in states like Maine, New York, California and Illinois. Other states are looking into changes.
Most Popular on ClickOnDetroit
- DTE: 5,000 customers still without power
- Charles Jones sentenced to at least 40 years in prison
- Police: 1 killed in shootout between homeowner, invaders
- Michaels hacked, as many as 2.6M cards affected
- Daytime break-ins terrorize Clinton Twp.
- Student accused of having gun, drugs in school