Chrysler reports 16 percent sales jump last month, best January since 2008
Automaker sold nearly 118,000 cars, trucks in start of 2013
Chrysler says its U.S. sales rose 16 percent last month for its best January in five years.
The company sold just nearly 118,000 cars and trucks last month. It's a sign that the U.S. auto sales momentum from last year is continuing into 2013.
Industry analysts say Americans bought new vehicles at a strong pace last month, a bright spot in the economic recovery.
Chrysler estimates that total U.S. industry sales hit an annual rate of 15.5 million in January. If that holds for the rest of the year, automakers will sell 1 million more vehicles than in 2012.
The company was the first to report sales on Friday.
- Best January sales since 2008
- 34th-consecutive month of year-over-year sales gains
- Chrysler, Dodge, Ram Truck, and FIAT brands each post sales increases in January compared with same month a year ago
- Ram 1500 pickup truck wins 2013 North American Truck/Utility of the Year award at North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit
- Dodge brand sales up 37 percent; best January sales since 2008 and largest year-over-year percentage increase of any Chrysler Group brand
- Dodge Dart sales increase 17 percent month over month; best sales month since June launch last year
- New Dodge Dart GT model debuts at NAIAS
- Dodge Journey full-size crossover sets all-time record with 94 percent sales increase
- Dodge Avenger mid-size sedan and Dodge Challenger muscle car each set sales record for month of January
- Dodge Challenger wins second-consecutive Cars.com ‘Shopper’s Choice Award’
- Fiat 500 sets sales record for month of January with 31 percent sales gain
- FIAT brand unveils two Fiat 500 design concepts at NAIAS
- Chrysler brand sales up 18 percent; best January sales since 2008
- Chrysler 200 mid-size sedan sets sales record for the month of January with 26 percent increase
- Chrysler 300 flagship sedan sales up 7 percent; best January since 2008
- Chrysler Town & Country wins Polk Automotive Loyalty Award in minivan category for a record 12th-consecutive time
- Chrysler Town & Country sales up 16 percent compared with same month a year ago
- Ram Truck brand sales up 14 percent, best January sales since 2008
- Ram pickup truck sales up 14 percent; best January sales since 2007
- Four Wheeler Magazine names Ram 1500 its Pickup Truck of the Year
- Jeep® Patriot compact SUV sets sales record for month of January with 32 percent sales gain
- Jeep Compass sales up 33 percent; best January sales since 2007
- Jeep Wrangler posts best January sales since 2007
- Jeep Grand Cherokee records best January sales since 2006
- Jeep brand unveils the new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, and Jeep Compass at the NAIAS
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.