An area of Adrian was closed off Friday when several gallons of acid spilled.
At 9 a.m., Adrian police and fire officials had closed roads and asked people to stay away from the area of East Maumee and Gulf streets.
A barrel containing 30-35 gallons of nitric acid starting giving off gas after reacting with a small amount of sodium hydroxide.
There was no immediate threat to the public, but officials said the closures were necessary to get the area cleaned up.
It was cleared just after 1 p.m.
Lenawee County Emergency Management and the Lenawee County hazardous Materials Team are on the scene.
Read more Local News headlines:
- Scholarship honors EMU student's life
- Ann Arbor cabbie charged after allegedly kissing passenger
- 25 Fowlerville students suspended for snack thefts
- A surprise gift could be a credit card scam
- Port Huron teen meets Bruno Mars on 'Ellen'
- Help Gleaners fight child hunger in metro Detroit
- Coast Guard: Unsafe ice conditions on Great Lakes
- Ann Arbor cab driver assaults against students prompt alert
- Pre-exam next for suspect in Michigan roadway shootings