Bed bug extermination spray causes hazmat situation
A Garden City apartment complex is back to normal after a resident called in an exterminator to get rid of bed bugs, and then created a hazmat situation.
A resident at the Village Lake Apartments sprayed for bed bugs on Saturday afternoon, but entered their apartment before the three hour wait time. That caused the fumes from the extermination to leak into the hallways, according to fire officials.
One person was sent to the hospital, but has since been released. Several people complained of breathing problems.
Hazmat crews were called in to help ventilate the building.
Officials said a dozen families were disrupted by the incident.