A woman pulled from her partially submerged car has told authorities she thought the frozen surface of a Washtenaw County lake was a roadway.
Rescuers found the woman Sunday afternoon about 400 to 500 feet from the Portage Lake shoreline in Dexter Township, reports the AnnArbor.com.
Dexter Area Fire Department Lt. Tim Burke says when the woman realized she no longer was on McGregor Lane she tried to drive across the lake.
Burke says "she got out onto the ice and panicked."
Rescuers and police divers arrived to find the rear of the woman's car submerged.
A rope was used to pull the woman to shore. She was not injured.
Her car later was towed to shore.
More headlines from Washtenaw County:
- Scholarship honors EMU student's life
- Ann Arbor cabbie charged after allegedly kissing passenger
- A surprise gift could be a credit card scam
- Ann Arbor cab driver assaults against students prompt alert
- 3 UM students report attacks by cab drivers
- Tractor-trailer overturns on ramp in Ann Arbor
- Police: Man arrested for Ypsilanti Township killing