Detroit police: CO poisoning suspected in deaths of man, dog
Victim found Wednesday morning in home on Rutland Street
Detroit police said a 54-year-old man and a dog were found dead Wednesday morning on Detroit's west side from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.
The fire department was on the scene, but it was already too late.
Investigators believe there was something wrong with the furnace inside his home that caused the source of the CO.
Police said there weren't any CO detectors in the home.
The man's body was discovered by family members. The family dog was also found dead from the silent killer.
Investigators believe a faulty furnace and no carbon monoxide detector, proved to be a deadly combination inside the home.
Carbon monoxide is a common leak that is difficult to detect. It's colorless odorless and can quickly fill a home.
Some people report feeling dizzy or having an upset stomach, but others experience no symptoms and by then its usually too late.
Family members tell the fire department the furnace inside the home was recently serviced and investigators are now looking into that.
Police said the victims lived in the 14100 block of Rutland Street.
Facts and tips about carbon monoxide:
- For healthy adults, CO becomes toxic when it reaches a level higher than 50 ppm (parts per million) with continuous exposure over an eight-hour period. When the level of CO becomes higher than that, a person will experience symptoms of exposure listed below.
- Mild exposure over a few hours (a CO level between 70 ppm and 100 ppm) include flu-like symptoms such as headaches, sore eyes and a runny nose.
- Medium exposure (a CO level between 150 ppm to 300 ppm) will produce dizziness, drowsiness and vomiting. Extreme exposure (a CO level of 400 ppm and higher) will result in unconsciousness, brain damage and death.
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm on each level of your home, and in or near each sleeping area.
- Keep the detectors at least 20 feet from any fuel burning appliances and at least 10 feet from high humidity locations like bathrooms and kitchens. If the alarm sounds, call a professional to check your gas burning appliances.
If carbon monoxide is suspected, take the following steps immediately:
- Get everyone to fresh air
- Call 9-1-1 from another location
- Report it to the fire department, even if everyone is felling better
Read more Local News headlines: