Detroit police: CO poisoning suspected in deaths of man, dog

Victim found Wednesday morning in home on Rutland Street

Published On: Jan 30 2013 04:38:02 PM EST   Updated On: Jan 23 2013 07:24:18 PM EST
DETROIT -

Detroit police said a 54-year-old man and a dog were found dead Wednesday morning on Detroit's west side from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

The fire department was on the scene, but it was already too late.

Investigators believe there was something wrong with the furnace inside his home that caused the source of the CO.

Police said there weren't any CO detectors in the home.

The man's body was discovered by family members. The family dog was also found dead from the silent killer.

Investigators believe a faulty furnace and no carbon monoxide detector, proved to be a deadly combination inside the home.

Carbon monoxide is a common leak that is difficult to detect. It's colorless odorless and can quickly fill a home.

Some people report feeling dizzy or having an upset stomach, but others experience no symptoms and by then its usually too late.

Family members tell the fire department the furnace inside the home was recently serviced and investigators are now looking into that.

Police said the victims lived in the 14100 block of Rutland Street.

Facts and tips about carbon monoxide:

If carbon monoxide is suspected, take the following steps immediately:

Read more Local News headlines: