Federal prosecutors are seeking a 20-month prison sentence for a Detroit-area man who admits aiming a green laser at federal agents inside a helicopter.
Dennis Berthiaume was playing with the laser in 2010 when he aimed it at a helicopter patrolling a neighborhood for human smugglers. The pilot became disoriented and lowered his special goggles to protect himself.
Berthiaume is returning to federal court Wednesday for his sentence. Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Martin says the 44-year-old Madison Heights man deserves prison for actions that could have caused a crash.
Berthiaume's lawyer is seeking probation for his client. Michael Friedman says Berthiaume has limited intellect, which could have contributed to the laser incident.
Read more Local News headlines:
- Police: 3 rob gas station in Redford at gunpoint
- Mother of 4 needs help fixing roof
- Journalist sues after Detroit Metro strip-search
- Gunmen robs elderly couple
- Man robbed, killed outside friend's house
- Man to stand trial for robbery, rape in Detroit
- Detroit police: Man dies trying to break up fight
- Gunman ambushes man on Detroit's west side