Authorities say a fire inside a large bird cage prompted the evacuation of about 80 people from senior citizen apartments in the Saginaw area.
WSGW-AM and MLive.com report no one was injured in the fire, which happened Thursday morning at McBrite Manor in Saginaw Township, about 85 miles northwest of Detroit.
Residents were evacuated while crews put out the fire and cleared the building of smoke. Some residents are being relocated because of damage.
Saginaw Township Fire Chief Jim Peterson says the bird cage in a community room was about 8 feet tall and 12 feet wide. The birds reportedly were let out as crews responded.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Read more Local News headlines:
- Michigan medical marijuana users can get jobless benefits
- University of Michigan getting $50 million gift
- 2 found dead in Saginaw home
- Couple challenging Michigan gay marriage ban
- Event to celebrate anniversary of Bavarian Inn Restaurant
- Wife charged for death of husband in Forest Township
- ALCU of Michigan looks into police use of military tactics
- Police: Woman flees after attacking parents with hatchet
- Council of Michigan Indian tribe OKs gay marriage