Furnace at Flint house where man, woman, boy found dead on Christmas leaked carbon monoxide
Police say LeTroy Edwards, Selena Carranza, Jayson Cobbin were found dead Christmas morning
A utility spokesman says a furnace was leaking carbon monoxide at a house in Flint where a couple and an 11-year-old boy died of apparent poisoning from the gas.
Flint police say 43-year-old LeTroy Edwards, 37-year-old Selena Carranza and 11-year-old Jayson Cobbin were found dead in the home on Christmas morning. Several other people who were in different parts of the house managed to escape.
Mlive.com reports that CMS Energy Corp. spokesman Dan Bishop says the furnace's boiler "was plugged with soot and was causing a carbon monoxide leak."
Authorities haven't released an official cause of death.
Federal authorities say about 400 people die nationwide each year from carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless gas forms when something burns without an adequate supply of oxygen.
- Doctor explains carbon monoxide poisoning
- Former Michigan rowing standout killed in murder-suicide
- Police: Man threatened AK-47 attack on Christmas
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.