Hazmat situation reported at Detroit wastewater treatment plant
Leak happens at facility on West Jefferson Avenue
A hazmat situation was reported Monday morning at Detroit’s wastewater treatment plant.
A Detroit Water and Sewage Department said a power drop happened for about 20 minutes at its plant on West Jefferson Avenue.
There was a small chlorine leak, but it never contaminated any public water.
Workers were briefly evacuated but no injuries were reported. The scene was cleared just before 10 a.m.
Read more Local News headlines:
- Girl killed, 5 others hurt in Detroit crash
- Detroit prep basketball coach dies after game
- Flames shoot through roof of Detroit home
- Suspect in triple Detroit shooting turns himself in
- Sphinx Competition focuses on diversity in the arts
- 1 family, 2 accidents, same freeway
- Boy charged as adult in attempted robbery of coach
- High Inkster water bills inspire YouTube video, song
- Children playing with candle led to fatal fire