People are having a little fun with an effort in Michigan's Upper Peninsula to make a fictional creature the state's official slug.
WLUC-TV reports the creator of the Amorous Spotted Slug is Larry Buege. He's an advocate for Slug Lovers In Michigan Empowered, or S.L.I.M.E., and says people across the Upper Peninsula are involved in an effort to collect signatures.
The goal is 10,000 signatures. If they do that, they'll send the idea to state lawmakers for consideration.
Pat Black is executive director of the Marquette County Convention and Visitors Bureau. She says it's a creative way to try to attract visitors.
The Upper Peninsula is known for natural wonders such as Tahquamenon Falls as well as unusual tourist attractions like the Mystery Spot.
Read more News headlines from across Michigan:
- 7 new infections from steroids found in Michigan
- Deputy's 4-year-old son shot, killed self accidentally
- Oakland County deputies charged with animal cruelty
- Spartys to see street numbers on campus
- Man dies after airboat capsizes on Lake Huron
- Court says no new trial for convicted Detroit killer
- Job opportunities available at ALDI
- Michigan police on lookout for pilfered panda costume