A convicted burglar faces 20 to 48 years in prison when sentenced in the 2011 rape and robbery of an 80-year-old woman at her suburban Detroit apartment.
William Harrison, age 31, of Mount Clemens pleaded guilty Tuesday to first-degree criminal sexual conduct, home invasion and armed robbery, reports the The Macomb Daily.
The eldery woman lived at the Heritage Estates senior living condominiums in Clinton Township.
She testified in the pre-trial that Harrison broke into her room while she was sleeping on Sept 13.
Police said Harrison enter the condo through an unlocked patio door, he put a towel over the woman's head and forced her to open a safe where she kept her jewelry.
Before he left with items from her room, Harrison sexually assaulted the woman.
The plea came a day before he was scheduled to go on trial.
Defense lawyer Michael L. Steinberg says Harrison is remorseful.
Harrison broke down during his arraignment in 2011 and apologized to the victim through a tearful courtroom outburst.
He fell to the ground before Judge Sebastian Lucido when he was told he could spend the rest of his life in prison if convicted.
Sentencing is scheduled for April 1.
More Headlines from Macomb County:
- Warren men charged for threats against police on Facebook
- Elderly woman scammed out of $30K
- Girl says stranger approached her on Eastpointe street
- Coworker: Woman found dead along I-75 had lived in fear
- Man accused of carjacking teens outside pizza shop
- De La Salle senior credits disability for his opportunities