Man who blamed deer for car wreck that hurt 2 gets no help from Michigan appeals court
Iosco County man says deer caused rollover, court says passenger never saw deer
A deer defense has failed for an Iosco County man who was convicted of a wreck that hurt two passengers.
Steven DeCaluwe says the sudden appearance of a deer caused the rollover. He says no rational jury could have found him guilty of driving drunk and causing serious injuries.
But the Michigan appeals court this week says one of the passengers didn't see a deer, and the investigating officer says a deer was never mentioned.
DeCaluwe was sentenced to five months in jail in Tawas City, the Iosco County seat.
Read more Michigan News headlines:
- Audit: Michigan not verifying jobs in tax-free zones
- Michigan State Police dog retires
- Michigan Senate to consider 3 gun-related bills
- Where is Detroit Zoo, DIA tax money really going?
- Clay Township store manager nearly hit by gunman's shot
- With dropping temps, protect your pets
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.