Police were able to identify Maslamani through surveillance video at the bank robbery and the gas station.

Doreen Landry said she knew something was terribly wrong and demanded the police probe him about her son's death.

"I said, 'No, you will get a detective in there tonight, right now, to talk to him,'" she said on the stand. "I knew it was the start of something and I did not want to go there but I knew we had to."

When the Macomb County medical examiner took the stand to detail exactly how Landry died, Doreen Landry opted to step out of the courtroom.

Sept. 28

A man who said he witnessed the kidnapping testified Tuesday morning for more than two hours.

Lawrence Watta said he witnessed Maslamani drag Landry by the neck, in a head-lock type hold, to the back of a car in the Quiznos parking lot. But when Landry refused to get in, Maslamani dragged him to the driver's side seat and hit him in the face, Watta said.

"He flew back, and that was the last I seen of Matt Landry," Watta testified.


Watta said he also saw Taylor on a cell phone during the kidnapping.

Watta said he initially thought the Quiznos was being robbed, so he pulled over and knocked on the restaurant's door. When nobody answered, he drove around, called 911 and saw Landry being abducted.

His 911 call was played in court.

"It looks like a green car. They are hitting him now. They are hitting him on the face. They are beating him up now. Hurry up, hurry, hurry," said Watta to the 911 operator.

He said Maslamani was driving a green Honda Accord, which was later identified as Landry's car. Taylor got in the back and Landry was in the front and then the trio drove off, Watta said.

Watta testified that he followed the vehicle for several blocks -- while maintaining his distance -- as he tried to help police pinpoint the Accord.

"They're going down 10 Mile," said Watta. "That's not the car, no, that's not the car. They just went by, they missed us."

The Landry family in the courtroom appeared shaken when hearing that police were unable to find Landry's vehicle as it drove off.

Another witness took the stand and said he saw the Accord, with Maslamani inside, parked in front of his eastside home.

Sept. 29:

A Roseville detective who discovered Landry's body in a burned-out house in Detroit took the stand Wednesday.

Lt. Raymond Blarek said he had been searching homes in the 7 Mile Road and Gratiot Avenue area in Detroit, looking for Landry, before he walked into a debris-littered home and saw feet first, then the bottom part of two white legs.

Blarek said Landry was face down, with his feet crossed and a bullet wound in the back of his head.

Also on Sept. 29, testimony focused on ballistics evidence was heard. Defense Attorney Kosmala questioned Michigan State Police experts who admitted that two fired bullet casings found near Landry's body could not be linked to the .40 caliber gun found on Maslamani.

Kosmala first questioned fingerprint expert Steve Nowicki.

"The .40 caliber cartridge case, you found none of this had Maslamani's prints, is that correct?" Kosmala asked.