Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette says his office will prosecute a man suspected in a shooting spree that targeted motorists in four counties last month.
The AG's office announced Tuesday it had agreed to take over the cases at the request of prosecutors in Livingston, Ingham and Shiawassee counties.
Raulie Casteel currently faces charges in Livingston and Oakland counties.
Schuette's office will lead the prosecution of Casteel in the Livingston case. The Oakland County prosecutor's office will continue to handle the 60 counts Casteel faces in connection with shootings in Wixom and Commerce Township.
The attorney general's office says its criminal division will review evidence collected by a multi-jurisdictional task force and decide whether to bring charges related to shootings in Ingham and Shiawassee counties.
The shootings began Oct. 16 and stretched from Oakland County west to Ingham County. The targets mostly were cars traveling on roads near Interstate 96. Only a handful of shootings actually occurred on the interstate. In all, 24 shootings were reported to police.
Casteel has been charged and arraigned in Livingston County with six counts related to an alleged shooting incident on I-96 in Howell. The felony charges include: assault with a dangerous weapon, carrying a firearm with unlawful intent and discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle.
In Oakland County, Casteel is charged with 60 counts for incidents alleged to have occurred in that county. Casteel has not yet been charged for alleged incidents that occurred in Ingham and Shiawassee Counties. Schuette’s Criminal Division will review evidence collected by the multi-jurisdictional task force and make a decision about what criminal charges should be filed, if any.