LANSING, Mich. -

The Michigan Court of Appeals has ruled to limit the use of a landmark court decision that ends mandatory no-parole sentences for juveniles convicted of murder.

The decision, released Friday, says the U.S. Supreme Court decision from earlier this year should not apply retroactively to Michigan inmates who have already exhausted most appeals.

The office of Michigan Attorney General, Bill Schuette, had filed a motion to intervene in a case where a convicted murderer, Raymond Carp of St. Clair County, who was attempting to secure parole following the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling addressing the constitutionality of mandatory sentences of life without parole for convicted teen murderers. 

 "The threat of hauling hundreds of crime victims and their families back into court to relive these horrific murders has already opened many old wounds," said Schuette.

Carp's attorney, Patricia Selby, says she and her client are "very disappointed" by the decision.

READ RULING: People of the State of Michigan vs Raymond Carp

More than 350 prisoners in Michigan are serving mandatory no-parole sentences for murders committed when they were under 18. That's one of the highest totals in the U.S.