Northern Michigan see 19 inches of snow, 63,730 customers lose power after storm
Consumers Energy working to restore power after storm brings high winds, snow to northern Mich.
Consumers Energy says approximately 63,730 electric customers are without power because of the winter storm that brought high winds and snow.
The snowstorm dumped more than 19 inches of snow in northern Michigan.
Since 4 a.m. Thursday, Consumers Energy says more than 144,000 customers were affected by outages.
"Today’s extremely high winds have caused additional power outages across the state, especially in the northern areas," said Garrick Rochow, the utility’s vice president of energy delivery. "We are bringing in additional crews to address these outages."
The National Weather Service says the highest snowfall totals as of Friday afternoon were 19.6 inches near Gaylord in the northern Lower Peninsula and 18 inches in Chippewa County's Kinross Township in the eastern Upper Peninsula.
Dozens of northern Michigan schools closed because of weather, giving students an early start to the holiday break.
Counties still without power:
Grand Traverse (3,078)
Van Buren (2,178)
Customers who lose heat during an extended outage can go to a designated public shelter.
"Because of the size of this winter storm, customers who have been without electric service may not have their power restored until late Sunday, " Rochow said
In most counties, residents can dial 2-1-1 to receive shelter information.
In addition, using a mobile phone, residents can text "SHELTER" then their ZIP code to 43362 (4FEMA).
Warming station for residents without power:
- Benzie Bus Station, 14150 US 31, Beulah, MI, 231-325-3000
- Fresh Winds Church, 9780 Honor Hwy, Honor, MI, 231-325-0344
- The Maples Medical Care Facility, 210 Maple St., Frankfort, MI, 231-352-9674
- Cheboygan Armory, 610 Cuyler, Cheboygan, MI 49721
- Forest Township Hall, 9511 M-68/M-33, Onaway, MI
- Petoskey United Methodist Church 1804 E. Mitchell St, Petoskey, MI
Grand Traverse County:
- The Salvation Army Community Center, 1239 Barlow St., Traverse City, MI, 231-946-4644
- The Rock of Kingsley Youth Center, 115 E. Blair, Kingsley, MI, 231-263-7000
- Green Lake Township Fire Hall, 9426 10th St., Interlochen, MI, 231-276-6297
- E- Free Church, 1649 E. State Road (M-32), Gaylord, MI, 989-619-0072
Maps and addresses of shelters can be found online at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) or American Red Cross.
Consumers Energy is cautioning residents to stay far away from downed wires and avoid anything they maybe touching.
Report any downed lines immediately by calling 1-800-477-5050.