Officials say a Grand Valley State University student impersonated faculty or administrators in email messages sent to students and faculty.
A statement posted this week on the Allendale school's website says its police department has been investigating several reported cases. Evidence led investigators to a current Grand Valley State University student, who they say was interviewed and confessed.
The case is expected to be reviewed by the Ottawa County prosecutor's office. The student also could face disciplinary action from the school.
The Grand Rapids Press reports the university first announced that the emails were being sent last week. Detail on the content of the emails wasn't immediately released.
Read more Local News headlines:
- Program models doctors rounds to prepare students to teach
- Washtenaw County drivers report being shot at on roadways
- Body found in Ash Township is missing Flint mother
- MSP: man arrested after pointing gun at truck driver
- Mom killed when Monroe police chase ends in crash
- Ypsilanti Township woman guilty of animal cruelty
- Gardner White to host blood drive, offer gift card
- Public maintains access to bear cubs
- Michigan AG wants criminal probe of meningitis deaths