A fire broke out just before 11:30 a.m. Thursday morning at Lake Pointe Village Apartments in the area of Wilcox Road and Hines Drive in Plymouth Township.
"I'm in shock. I just can't believe it," said Karen Jordan who watched as her apartment went up in flames. "I opened the door and it was just black smoke. It was just engulfed so quickly."
Residents were quickly evacuated from the building as fire ripped through 16 apartments in the building.
Luckily everyone made it out unharmed and there were no injuries.
The cause of the fire is not know, but some witnesses said they heard an explosion before the fire, and some of the doors in the apartment building were blown off their hinges. Fire fighters confirmed the fire started on the second floor of the building.
One woman described what she saw when she came home for lunch.
"I came home to walk my dog, and I smelled smoke. They next thing you knew it was just in flames. The whole thing was just in flames," said Mary Jo who also lived at the complex.
Now displaced resident are left with nothing, and trying to figure out what to do next.
"I just don't know what to do. I feel very lost. I'm just very alone right now," said Jordan.
Fire fighters said several pets did not survive the fire.
The red cross is working to find a place for everyone displaced by the blaze.
This apartment complex is not a stranger to tragedy. In 2008, a tornado touched down during a fast moving storm, damaging the building.