Probe hopes to uncover what sickened local hockey players
Players nauseated, vomiting
Norovirus is preliminarily being blamed for sickening several young hockey players in Taylor this weekend.
The Sportsplex on Telegraph Road was evacuated late Sunday when about 28 players became violently sick.
Taylor Fire Department Chief Bob Tompos said symptoms included nausea and vomiting. He said many of them went to the hospital as a precaution.
The Sportsplex remained closed Monday as investigators with the Wayne County Health Department tested the facility.
"The crews are just arriving now, a crew that is very experienced from a local company that's done these types of cleanups for restaurants and hotels," Tompos said. "They're going to disinfect the entire building and follow the protocol dictated by the Health Department, so we can make sure we've taken care of any potential bacteria or virus that might still be in the building."