TAYLOR, Mich. -

What made a bunch of young hockey players so sick this weekend?

Norovirus is preliminarily being blamed for sickening several young hockey players in Taylor this weekend.

The Sportsplex on Telegraph Road was evacuated late Sunday when about 28 players became violently sick.

Player Drew Best said he knew something was wrong when he started seeing his teammates lay down in pain.

"They got to the locker room, put their bags down and they were laying on their bags. So, our coach sent them to the hospital," Best said.

Best's father, Tyler, said the young players started complaining of nausea and vomiting.

"If it wasn't Drew's head in the garbage can, somebody else's head was in the garbage can," Tyler Best said.

Drew Best said most of the players were taken the hospital, but he made it home first.

"I took a shower and then then I started throwing up again. Then, we called an ambulance because I couldn't even stand up," he said.

Wayne County Environmental Health Director Carol Austerberry said the players' symptoms were consistent with norovirus, which spreads rapidly through contact.

"If somebody vomits, then you have some airborne particles and that gets on solid surfaces. Someone touches that and then touches or shakes your hand," she said.

She said symptoms clear up in about two to three days.

The best way to prevent the virus it to keep hands washed.

The Sportsplex remained closed Monday as investigators with the Wayne County Health Department tested the facility.

"They're going to disinfect the entire building and follow the protocol dictated by the Health Department, so we can make sure we've taken care of any potential bacteria or virus that might still be in the building," said Taylor Fire Department Chief Bob Tompos.

Victory Honda AAA players sickened