Sterling Heights man sentenced to prison for robbing, raping 80-year-old woman
William Porter Harrison III sentenced to minimum of 20 years in prison for 2011 assault
The man charged with robbing and raping an 80-year-old woman at her Macomb County senior citizens complex learned his fate in court Wednesday.
William Porter Harrison III of Sterling Height, pleaded guilty in February to first-degree criminal sexual conduct, home invasion and armed robbery.
The plea came a day before he was scheduled to go on trial. Harrison was sentenced to 10-20 years for home invasion and 20-48 years for the armed robbery and rape.
The woman was attacked at the Heritage Estates senior living condominiums in Clinton Township on Sept. 2011.
Police said Harrison broke into the condo through an unlocked patio door.
The victim testified in court that Harrison came into her room while she was sleeping and demanded to know where her jewelry was.
Police said Harrison put a towel over her head, forced the woman to open a safe and sexually assaulted her before leaving.
Judge Mark Switalski also ordered Harrison to pay $9,000 in restitution.
- Troy man found guilty of shooting neighbor
- Crooks break into Detroit church, take off with fridge
- Michigan judge refuses to dismiss right-to-work lawsuit
- Police: Plant experts can help find Michigan baby's remains
- Man dies after being rescued from Detroit River
- New video: Dash cam of Warren police chase, crash