Two people are happy to be alive after a fire nearly took their lives in Taylor.
The fire happened Saturday morning in the 6000 block of Marvin.
Witnesses tell Local 4 a man and his female caregiver were in the house at the time of the fire, but they were both able to get out.
According to a neighbor, the female caregiver jumped out of the second floor window. The neighbor drove the caregiver to the hospital. The man ran out of the front door and was also taken to the hospital. A dog died in the fire.
The woman is in critical condition, the man is in stable condition.
The man’s wife was not home at the time of the fire, but came home after her husband called and said a fire was in the home. The husband is 49 and has multiple sclerosis; he has had a caregiver for two years.
According to the wife, the fire started in the dryer, but fire crews are waiting to get a cause confirmed with investigators.