Two teens to be charged in connection with carjackings, shooting of 6-year-old boy

Child shot while sitting in a car

Published On: Feb 27 2012 07:43:41 AM EST   Updated On: Mar 03 2012 07:16:56 PM EST
DETROIT -

Detroit police say two 15-year-olds will be charged as adults in connection with the shooting of a 6-year-old boy last week on Detroit's east side.

Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee said the boy was in a car with two adults at the intersection of Balfour and Waveney at about 9 p.m. when shots were fired into the car during an attempted carjacking.

The boy was taken to St. John Hospital in critical condition. One of the adults in the car was grazed by a bullet.

Godbee said the teens are accused of being involved in at least four other carjackings and robberies prior to the shooting that hurt the boy. He said the teens had an AK-47.

"It should be noted that the juveniles have had significant prior contact with the law," Godbee said.

Police said the teens were arrested sitting in a car that they allegedly stole.

“The reckless abandon of which they are alleged to have gone from the east side, west side and back to the east side, those are serious crimes. Those are not juvenile pranks,” Godbee said.

The shooting is the latest involving a child in Detroit. On Jan. 31, a 12-year-old girl was shot and killed through the door of her home following a dispute that did not involve her. On Feb. 20, a 9-month-old boy was fatally shot at a home.

"I was taught to respect my elders and I was taught to protect the young. For whatever reason, we have a culture that doesn't accept that anymore. They don't abide by that," Bing said.

Bing said he wants better discipline in homes and more help in the community.

"Let's stop the madness," Bing said. "You need to start disciplining those young people when they come out of the womb. Mothers and fathers. You can't start disciplining a kid at the age of 12 or 14. It's too late."