(CNN) -- The women's branch of South Africa's ruling party wants to know why Oscar Pistorius is being detained in a holding cell at the Brooklyn Police Station -- and not at Central Prison or Newlock where other defendants awaiting trial are kept. "If there is some special circumstance that permits this, authorities must share this with the public as they are setting a bad precedent," said a statement from the African National Congress Women's League. "All should be treated equally before the law no matter your standing in society." The group said Pistorius is getting special treatment, adding that his family can visit him even outside visiting hours -- unlike families of other inmates.
- Dad arrested in connection with fire that killed 2 boys
- Detroit house fire that killed 2 boys under investigation
- Comerica Park transformed into hockey rink
- Michigan bill designed to protect late-night clerks
- Would longer school year help save Pontiac schools?
- Detroit celebrates the life of Nelson Mandela
- US safety agency may expand Hyundai air bag recall
- 15 UM students arrested for breaking into stadium
- Video: Man robs Flat Rock Subway at gunpoint
- Get ready to 'sympathize' with your Facebook friends