Walled Lake woman severely burned; Careless smoking could be to blame

Incident happened Monday morning at home in Walled Lake Villa apartments

Published On: Feb 25 2013 08:42:35 AM EST
MAP Walled Lake Villas
WALLED LAKE, Mich. -

Carelessly smoking may be to blame for a 60-year-old Walled Lake woman being severely burned Monday morning in her home.

The incident happened just before 5 a.m. in the Walled Lake Villa apartments.  

Fire officials said the woman’s husband was already helping to put out the flames when a rescue crew arrived. She was taken to Providence Hospital in Novi, with Survival Flight on standby to take her to University of Michigan Hospital.

She suffered second-and-third-degree burns to more than 80 percent of her body.

The fire is believed to be accidental.  

Read more Local News headlines: